A756-3857 1958 Edmundsbury Farm
15 July 1958
Edmundsbury Farm, Lucan, Co. Dublin
St Edmundsbury is an acute psychiatric unit set in its own grounds just outside the village of Lucan, situated near the M50/N11 interchange and some five miles from its parent hospital St Patrick's. It was purchased by the Governors of St Patrick's in 1899 and initially served as a convalescent facility. In the early days the house was only able to accommodate 15 female patients but the surrounding farm produced food for the main hospital and raised funds by selling on surplus produce. A brochure from 1928 describes the building in 1907 of a 'Gentlemen's Villa' at St Edmundsbury to accommodate 'eight gentlemen patients' where 'Croquet and tennis courts are provided and a motor car is maintained for the use of the patients'.
In the 1980's the building of a new purpose designed accomodation block of forty four single rooms and 3 double rooms allowed for the renovation of the old house into communal and treatment areas.
- Copyrighted to SKP & Associates Ltd trading as Lensmen & Associates, Lensmen Photographic Agency and Lensmen Photographic Archive, Irish Photo Archive. wwwirishphotoarchive.ie COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS ACT, 2000. Under the Copyright and Related Rig
- Image Size
- 1024x826 / 558.0KB
1950s antique photos black and white black and white pictures black and white prints Farm film photography Garden Edmundsbury Farm historical photos history pictures image library images of Ireland Ireland Irish Irish culture Irish gifts Irish heritage Irish history Irish images Irish people Irish photos Irish pictures Irish society news photos old photos old pictures old print photographs of Ireland photography print picture library Republic of Ireland sepia the fifties vintage photos
- Contained in galleries
- 1958 Edmundsbury Farm