Info

A756-3857 1958 Edmundsbury Farm

15/07/1958
07/15/1958
15 July 1958

Edmundsbury Farm, Lucan, Co. Dublin


St Edmundsbury is an acute psychiatric unit set in its own grounds just outside the village of Lucan, situated near the M50/N11 interchange and some five miles from its parent hospital St Patrick's. It was purchased by the Governors of St Patrick's in 1899 and initially served as a convalescent facility. In the early days the house was only able to accommodate 15 female patients but the surrounding farm produced food for the main hospital and raised funds by selling on surplus produce. A brochure from 1928 describes the building in 1907 of a 'Gentlemen's Villa' at St Edmundsbury to accommodate 'eight gentlemen patients' where 'Croquet and tennis courts are provided and a motor car is maintained for the use of the patients'.

In the 1980's the building of a new purpose designed accomodation block of forty four single rooms and 3 double rooms allowed for the renovation of the old house into communal and treatment areas.

Add to Cart
Filename
A756-3857.jpg
Copyright
Copyrighted to SKP & Associates Ltd trading as Lensmen & Associates, Lensmen Photographic Agency and Lensmen Photographic Archive, Irish Photo Archive. wwwirishphotoarchive.ie COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS ACT, 2000. Under the Copyright and Related Rig
Image Size
1024x826 / 558.0KB
Contained in galleries
1958 Edmundsbury Farm
15/07/1958<br />
07/15/1958<br />
15 July 1958<br />
<br />
Edmundsbury Farm, Lucan, Co. Dublin<br />
<br />
<br />
St Edmundsbury is an acute psychiatric unit set in its own grounds just outside the village of Lucan, situated near the M50/N11 interchange and some five miles from its parent hospital St Patrick's. It was purchased by the Governors of St Patrick's in 1899 and initially served as a convalescent facility. In the early days the house was only able to accommodate 15 female patients but the surrounding farm produced food for the main hospital and raised funds by selling on surplus produce. A brochure from 1928 describes the building in 1907 of a 'Gentlemen's Villa' at St Edmundsbury to accommodate 'eight gentlemen patients' where 'Croquet and tennis courts are provided and a motor car is maintained for the use of the patients'.<br />
<br />
In the 1980's the building of a new purpose designed accomodation block of forty four single rooms and 3 double rooms allowed for the renovation of the old house into communal and treatment areas.