Info

017347

Red granite lion of Amenhophis III From Gebel Barkal, Sudan, 18th Dynasty, around 1400 BC. This lion is one of a pair collected from the Meroitic site of Gebel Barkal by Lord Prudhoe, which is why they are sometimes called 'Prudhoe lions'. Originally from the Temple of Soleb in Nubia, the lions acted as guardian figures before a temple built by Amenhotep III (1390-1352 BC), an elaborate monument to the cult of the king as a deified 'lord of Nubia', embodied by the lion.

Add to Cart
Filename
017347.JPG
Copyright
Irish Photo Archive
Image Size
5450x3302 / 1.5MB
Contained in galleries
Red granite lion of Amenhophis III From Gebel Barkal, Sudan, 18th Dynasty, around 1400 BC. This lion is one of a pair collected from the Meroitic site of Gebel Barkal by Lord Prudhoe, which is why they are sometimes called 'Prudhoe lions'. Originally from the Temple of Soleb in Nubia, the lions acted as guardian figures before a temple built by Amenhotep III (1390-1352 BC), an elaborate monument to the cult of the king as a deified 'lord of Nubia', embodied by the lion.