Info

Statue of Lord Carlisle destroyed at Phoenix Park.25/07/1958..The bronze statue of Geo. Wm. Frederick Howard, 7th. Earl of Carlisle (1802-64), in the People's-garden, Phoenix-park, - by John Henry Foley, - was erected in 1869..He was L.L., 1855-58 - 1859-64. (Cf. Carlisle-str.)..George William Frederick Howard, 7th Earl of Carlisle KG, PC (18 April 1802 - 5 December 1864), styled Viscount Morpeth from 1825 to 1848, was a British politician, statesman and orator..Carlisle was born in Westminster, London, the eldest son of George Howard, 6th Earl of Carlisle by his wife Lady Georgiana Cavendish, eldest daughter of William Cavendish, 5th Duke of Devonshire. Lord Lanerton and Charles Howard were his younger brothers. He was educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford, where he earned a reputation as a scholar and writer of graceful verse, obtaining in 1821 both the chancellor's and the Newdigate prizes for a Latin poem, Paestum,[1] and an English one. He maintained his interest in poetry throughout his life, exchanging sonnets with William Wordsworth. In 1826 he accompanied his maternal grandfather, the Duke of Devonshire, to the Russian Empire, to attend the coronation of Tsar Nicholas I, and became a great favourite in society at St Petersburg..At the general election in 1826 Carlisle was returned to parliament as member for the family borough of Morpeth, a seat he held until 1830, and then represented Yorkshire until 1832 and the West Riding of Yorkshire from 1832 to 1841 and from 1846 to 1848. The latter year he succeeded his father in the earldom and entered the House of Lords..Carlisle served under Lord Melbourne as Chief Secretary for Ireland between 1835 and 1841, under Lord John Russell as First Commissioner of Woods and Forests from 1846 to 1850 and as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster from 1850 to 1852 and under Lord Palmerston as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1855 to 1858 and again from 1859 to 1864. In 1835 he was appointed to the Privy Councils of th

Add to Cart
Filename
A763-4002.jpg
Copyright
Single use for this image - .Copyrighted to SKP & Associates Ltd trading as Lensmen & Associates, Lensmen Photographic Agency and.Lensmen Photographic Archive...COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS ACT, 2000..Under the Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000 the c
Image Size
2748x2000 / 1.5MB
Contained in galleries
images of ireland 1950s, The 1950s Ireland in Pictures
Statue of Lord Carlisle destroyed at Phoenix Park.25/07/1958..The bronze statue of Geo. Wm. Frederick Howard, 7th. Earl of Carlisle (1802-64), in the People's-garden, Phoenix-park, - by John Henry Foley, - was erected in 1869..He was L.L., 1855-58 - 1859-64. (Cf. Carlisle-str.)..George William Frederick Howard, 7th Earl of Carlisle KG, PC (18 April 1802 - 5 December 1864), styled Viscount Morpeth from 1825 to 1848, was a British politician, statesman and orator..Carlisle was born in Westminster, London, the eldest son of George Howard, 6th Earl of Carlisle by his wife Lady Georgiana Cavendish, eldest daughter of William Cavendish, 5th Duke of Devonshire. Lord Lanerton and Charles Howard were his younger brothers. He was educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford, where he earned a reputation as a scholar and writer of graceful verse, obtaining in 1821 both the chancellor's and the Newdigate prizes for a Latin poem, Paestum,[1] and an English one. He maintained his interest in poetry throughout his life, exchanging sonnets with William Wordsworth. In 1826 he accompanied his maternal grandfather, the Duke of Devonshire, to the Russian Empire, to attend the coronation of Tsar Nicholas I, and became a great favourite in society at St Petersburg..At the general election in 1826 Carlisle was returned to parliament as member for the family borough of Morpeth, a seat he held until 1830, and then represented Yorkshire until 1832 and the West Riding of Yorkshire from 1832 to 1841 and from 1846 to 1848. The latter year he succeeded his father in the earldom and entered the House of Lords..Carlisle served under Lord Melbourne as Chief Secretary for Ireland between 1835 and 1841, under Lord John Russell as First Commissioner of Woods and Forests from 1846 to 1850 and as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster from 1850 to 1852 and under Lord Palmerston as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1855 to 1858 and again from 1859 to 1864. In 1835 he was appointed to the Privy Councils of th