Info

The Four Courts..1971..16.04.1971..04.16.1971..16th April 1971..The Four Courts,for centuries,has been the centre of Ireland's Judicial system..Work based on the designs of Thomas Cooley, architect of the Royal Exchange (now City Hall), began in 1776. Cooley's building concentrated in the area of the west courtyard and was intended to house only the Public Records Office and King's Inns. When Cooley died in 1784, James Gandon, architect of the Custom House, was appointed to add the courts to the plan. Into his completed design he incorporated Cooley's building, adding two quadrangles and a central block. The quadrangles were given to the record and legal offices, the centre to the four courts of Chancery, Exchequer, Kings Bench and Common Pleas. At the hub is the Round Hall, 64ft in diameter, with inner and outer domes and a surround of Corinthian columns. It was once described as "both the physical and spiritual centre of the building"(www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.).Throughout the years the courts have been damaged ,destroyed and rebuilt as a result of rebellion and the Irish civil war..Here we see an image of the dome and its columns taken from the roadway at Inns Quay.

Add to Cart
Filename
D676 - 9010.jpg
Copyright
Copyrighted to SKP & Associates Ltd trading as Lensmen & Associates, Lensmen Photographic Agency, Lensmen Photographic Archive and Irish Photo Archive..COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS ACT, 2000..Under the Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000 the copyright
Image Size
544x369 / 107.4KB
Contained in galleries
images of ireland 1970s, 1971 - The Four Courts, Dublin, Ireland
The Four Courts..1971..16.04.1971..04.16.1971..16th April 1971..The Four Courts,for centuries,has been the centre of Ireland's Judicial system..Work based on the designs of Thomas Cooley, architect of the Royal Exchange (now City Hall), began in 1776. Cooley's building concentrated in the area of the west courtyard and was intended to house only the Public Records Office and King's Inns. When Cooley died in 1784, James Gandon, architect of the Custom House, was appointed to add the courts to the plan. Into his completed design he incorporated Cooley's building, adding two quadrangles and a central block. The quadrangles were given to the record and legal offices, the centre to the four courts of Chancery, Exchequer, Kings Bench and Common Pleas. At the hub is the Round Hall, 64ft in diameter, with inner and outer domes and a surround of Corinthian columns. It was once described as "both the physical and spiritual centre of the building"(www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.).Throughout the years the courts have been damaged ,destroyed and rebuilt as a result of rebellion and the Irish civil war..Here we see an image of the dome and its columns taken from the roadway at Inns Quay.