Info

0460001019

Webb's chemical factory, Diglis, Worcestershire. The tall building to right behind chimney contains Gay-Lussac's lead chambers for the production of sulphuric acid (Oil of Vitriol or H2SO4), one of the most important of industrial chemicals. Invented in 1827, the lead chambers only came into practical use for the large-scale production of sulphuric acid after the invention by John Glover in about 1859 of the denitrating tower which can be seen on the end of the lead chambers. From 'The Illustrated Midland News', (Birmingham 30 October 1869). Engraving..

Add to Cart
Filename
0460001019.jpg
Copyright
Irish Photo Archive
Image Size
4500x3273 / 3.9MB
Contained in galleries
Recently uploaded historical photos 5
Webb's chemical factory, Diglis, Worcestershire.  The tall building to right behind chimney contains Gay-Lussac's lead chambers for the production of sulphuric acid (Oil of Vitriol or H2SO4), one of the most important of industrial chemicals. Invented in 1827, the lead chambers only came into practical use for the large-scale production of sulphuric acid after the invention by John Glover in about 1859 of the denitrating tower which can be seen on the end of the lead chambers. From 'The Illustrated Midland News', (Birmingham 30 October 1869). Engraving..