Info

559306

Five painted terracotta plaques, Etruscan, about 560-550 BC, from Cerveteri. The plaques, from a small chamber-tomb in the Banditaccia cemetery, are known as the Boccanera plaques after the two brothers who found them in 1874. The pair with sphinxes probably flanked the interior of the doorway while the three plaques with the figural scene covered the rear wall. The subject is taken from Greek mythology.

Add to Cart
Filename
559306.jpg
Copyright
Irish Photo Archive
Image Size
4104x4313 / 3.8MB
Contained in galleries
Recently uploaded historical photos 4
Five painted terracotta plaques, Etruscan, about 560-550 BC, from Cerveteri.  The plaques, from a small chamber-tomb in the Banditaccia cemetery, are known as the Boccanera plaques after the two brothers who found them in 1874.  The pair with sphinxes probably flanked the interior of the doorway while the three plaques with the figural scene covered the rear wall.  The subject is taken from Greek mythology.